Have you seen to new Cricut machine? It's called the Cricut Explore. It debuted on HSN about a week ago. It sells or rather sold on HSN for $299. It's now $350. You can watch the HSN video HERE. Or read more about it on Cricut.com. They will be available in stores on March 15th. It's a machine that you can cut your own images with, which is way cool and so new to the Cricut users especially after that lawsuit over third party software! Also, with a monthly subscription you can use the images on the new Cricut Design Space online program. How much is the monthly subsciption? $9.99! Which might not sound like a lot but that is $119.88 a year just to use your machine! It has a sleek new design with places to hold pens and tools. The Cricut Explore will write and cut or emboss and cut at the same time, which is awesome. It will cut a lot of different materials. However, I don't think it cuts anything more than what my Cricut machines will cut using the deep cut blade. It also, supposedly, cuts with new precision. I actually hope this one is not true because I have the older machines and would love to have that update for them!
I think a lot of people will love this machine. And now that Cricut has coverted all the Cameo users and all those that want the freedom to design with a computer, maybe, just maybe now they can get back to some of their loyal customers, customers that have been with them for YEARS and spent THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS, that like to use the machines we already have and just want them to stay upgraded (not discontinued) with maybe a new feature now and again! PLEASE!
Reason why I won't be getting the new Cricut Explore:
1. I don't want to be tied to a computer. This machine will not cut ANYTHING without a computer and with an internet connection. You have to use their Design program. I know many of you design your own images and use JPEGs and such and do I but I like to have the choice of where I work. I bought the Cricut because I didn't want to be tied to a computer. In fact, that was their selling pitch! I like to take my Cricut machine to crops or have my crafty friends over and bring it to the kitchen so everyone can use it. My 9 year old will even do this with her friends. We love using our machines anywhere!
2. While you can use all your Cricut cartridge images you have to link them with the Cricut Design Space Program and use them, again, online. ONLY ONLINE! Yes, that is right! The little port on the machine is for LINKING ONLY! Granted if you have linked them already with Cricut Craft Room they are supposed to transfer over as soon as you make your new Design account using the same sign in as your Cricut Craft Room account.
3. Speaking of Cricut Craft Room! It seems like they just barely got that up and running or at least I remembered it took FOREVER with many delays. My machines are able to be hooked up to a computer why can't I use them with the new Design Space Program? I think I just feel like as a previous customer I've been forgotten! So why would I want to buy a new machine that might be dropped or forgotten in a couple of years.
4. I've read too many GREAT reviews about the Cameo that sells for around the same price, actually a little less than the Explore! I don't own a Cameo as I still have an old version of the orginal Expression and can use SCAL (Sure Cuts A Lot) with it. When it dies, who knows???? It will depend on the Cricut Explore users reviews and the price.
5. Speaking of price! Cricut machines go down in price within months of their debut! I bought the Expression 2 the original night at $350 and now you can get it any day of the week for about $170! OUCH!! I understand prices go down and I LOOOOOOVE my Cricut Expression 2 and would recommend it but it's price seemed to go down VERY quickly! Not an investment I'm willing to make again! I did get a Cricut Imagine, never even been used, but I got it brand new for $125! Sorry to all those who bought it for $450!!! If it makes you feel any better, I also bought the Gypsy, first day they were available for $350 and I think you can get those for around $90 now! Please don't tell my husband! :)
6. I think I'm just frankly refusing to buy another machine until I get some updates on the previous ones that indeed have the capabilities of being updated! I mean, the orginal Expression has TWO empty buttons! It was DESIGNED for updates, has the ability to update, so why not update it!!! I should say here that I LOVE LOVE LOVE my Cricut machines! I love my catridges! I have a bunch! And continue to buy them! Maybe with this new cartridge free machine they will get even cheaper! :) Although maybe they will discontinue cartridges all together like they have with their other items: Imagine, Cricut Cake, and Gypsy. They are already using the phrase 'No more need for cartridges' to sell this new machine! :(
7. Think about how excited you might be, getting the New Cricut Explore and the use of the new images on the Design Space (of course for 9.99 a month) only to find out in a couple of years or sooner that they aren't adding any new designs or they have a brand new Design AREA that now requires you to get a NEW machine to use with it because your Cricut Explore will not work with the brand new Design AREA! Sound frustrating? Well, I guess that is how I am feeling!
Please feel free to leave a comment! You don't have to agree with me! In fact, if you have the Explore weather you love it or hate it, tell us about it! You can even try to change my mind! But good luck! LOL!!